The Essential Puglia - Daily Schedule
$5950 pp twin share
21 May to 2 June, 2018
Arrive in Vieste not far from Bari Airport in the afternoon. Explore the historic town and enjoy your first Puglia dinner (included).
See the old harbour and take a coastal trip to sea caves and secluded beaches. Spend the afternoon as you feel inclined! (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included).
Off to the tracks through the mighty forest of Umbra (shadows) where we will share a picnic with the local cows, complete with bells. (Breakfast and lunch included).
Transfer to Castellana Grotte, pausing on the way for a food session at Ostuni. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included).
A day out in trulli country (Alberobello, Martina Franca and Locorotondo) – interesting dwellings, great food, beautiful trees. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included).
A free day – some many special places nearby to choose from - Monopoli, Polignano al Mare, Conversano, or the reputed caves at Castellana Grotte. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included).
A day trip to Matera, with a guided tour of this resurrected town, and an introduction to the foods of the Basilicata Province. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included).
To the white-washed hilltop town of Cisterino to visit the local market. Return to the masseria for a cooking session and dinner. (Breakfast, lunch and dinner included).
Today, an opportunity to spend a little more time in the white-washed town of Ostuni on the way south to Gallipoli (the other Gallipoli), considered to be the most beautiful town in the Salento zone.
Explore the old port area and enjoy a stunning seafood meal before settling into your sensitively-restored hotel. (Breakfast and dinner included).
This morning learn the secrets of the cooking of Gallipoli before heading to a nearby relaxing beach resort or to further explore the local highlights. (Breakfast and lunch included).
Head to the southernmost point of Italy, Santa Maria di Leuca, with its gigantic lighthouse. Enjoy another chance to swim in sea-coves before hitting the wonderful sea-port of Otranto where we will check out this afternoon’s fish auction.
On to Lecce, called ‘the Florence of the south’ because of its splendid Baroque architecture, and maybe something to do with quality shops...
Our final stay is in a castle built in 1479. Put on your coronets! (Breakfast included).
Out and about in Lecce, and on her coast – shopping, lounging on the beach, checking details of a very, very long history... Breakfast and final dinner included).
After breakfast (included) in our castle, off to explore the rest of the world!
Tour Dates & Cost
Monday 21 May to Saturday 2 June, 2018
$5950 pp twin share.
Included in the cost of the 13-day tour:
- Daily support vehicle to carry your luggage, plus any purchases you make in the markets and antique shops can easily be transferred.
- Option to drive your own rental vehicle (surcharge applies).
- Quality accommodation in properties of character, mostly with private facilities.
- An experienced facilitator with knowledge of the attractions, the people, and the history of the area plus local guides.
- Most meals, as mentioned above: 9 gourmet dinners featuring the best of regional specialties, 7 lunches including spectacular picnic, breakfasts every day — not forgetting the special arrivederci feast on our final night. Several times you’ll get the chance to follow-your-own-nose for midday and evening meals.
- Wine tastings, olive oil tasting and cooking sessions, plus an introduction to the local music and dnace.
- Rest days and independent exploration possible – we supply detailed maps which allow a choice of routes.
- Literature, including a detailed itinerary, clothing guide, reading guide, use of large-scale maps of the area, and general advice on travelling in Europe.
- Daily briefing and guidance.
- A sense of adventure compulsory!
- Castle and museum entry fees – you choose which to visit!
- Gratuities (tips) and drinks.
- Golf club hire and green fees, where applicable.
- Visas and passports, as necessary.
- Mandatory travel insurance.
- Personal items, eg, laundry, telephone, internet charges.
- Flights and transfers.
Footnote: The organiser reserves the right to change any details in this outline, should this prove necessary.
Keen on a personalised tour?
Let us design your personalised travel itinerary! We offer tailor-made travel to suit your interests and schedules. You decide when, how long for and mode of transport.
Or we can help you select the most suitable tour from our vast portfolio of
worldwide activity holidays.